Jill is an experienced public speaker with over 12 years of speaking experience. Her talks typically are related to topics including science, engineering, professional development, diversity and inclusion, and education and outreach. Jill has been invited to speak to represent NASA, and is the creator and host of the YouTube channel Across the Nanoverse and podcast Resilient in STEM.
She has honed her ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical information through numerous research talks and poster presentations at conferences and universities. In addition, she completed training as a Certified Communications Consultant through the University of California, through which she mentored graduate students and hosted workshops on topics including leading effective meetings and speaking with confidence.
- Podcast Creator and Host: Resilient in STEM.
- Invited Speaker: Lithium Ion Batteries and the Renewable Energy Future (Sponsored by Hioki USA)
- Invited Speaker on the Multipassionaire Podcast: “Electrochemistry, Lithium Batteries + Inventions”
- UC Irvine Featured Alumni & Invited Speaker: “Engineer to Entrepreneur”
- Invited Speaker on Industry Explorers: “Avoiding Toxic Workplaces”
- Leader and Presenter of SAT Math Prep Workshop for high school girls through WriteGirl LA
- Invited Speaker on Professor Dave Debates podcast titled “The Future of Car Batteries”
- Invited Speaker on the The People Engineer Podcast
- Invited Speaker on an Instagram Live talk with @girlchangetheworld (Lorena Soriano, founder of Every Point One).
- Creator and Host of Across the Nanoverse, the YouTube Channel
- Featured on “Hanging with Unboxd”, a platform working to change the narrative around women in science in the media.
- Chair of the Society of Women Engineers – Orange County 2018 Professional Development Conference, where she gave a welcome address and coordinated the day-long event with multiple speakers.
- “Nuclear Policy Working Group: A Model for Next Generation Nuclear Security Education”; Poster presentation at the University and Industry Technical Interchange (UITI) Conference, Raleigh, NC, June 2016.
- Won the People’s Choice award for “How Batteries Age”; Poster Presentation, Xerox PARC, Palo Alto, CA, May 2016.
Education and Outreach Leadership
Jill has extensive experience in science education and outreach. In the one year that she founded and led Discover Science Initiative at UC Irvine, she coordinated over 8 STEM workshops and 1 event, which provided access to scientific knowledge taught by actual research scientists for over 6,000 participants of all ages.
Prior to founding Discover Science Initiative, Jill led and participated in a variety of STEM outreach projects through her involvement in organizations including Society of Physics Students, and completed a Teaching Physics Certification through California State University, Long Beach.
Jill continues to speak publicly (and accessibly) through her podcast Resilient in STEM and YouTube channel “Across the Nanoverse”. Her video “Intro to Electrochemical Impedance Specroscopy” (below) currently has the highest view count per post time of any videos on that scientific method. Beginning in 2020, Jill is developing online courses on professional development topics through her business, The STEM Thrive Guides.
Video on Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy, a technique used in battery research, is YouTube’s highest viewed video per post time on this topic (10k views in 1 year).
Additional Invited Talks
Jill Pestana, “Technical Communication”; Invited speaker for Unboxd Magazine, Daly City, CA, July 2019. https://www.beunboxd.com/
Jill Pestana, “Importance of Educational Centers in STEM Education”; Invited talk at Grand Opening of Dr. Sally Ride Center for Environmental Science, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, CA, October 2012.
Jill Pestana, Dr. Aron Varga, Dr. Yohannes Abate, “Near-field Nanoscopy of Cesium Dihydrogen Phosphate” (Honors Thesis); Oral Presentation, CSULB Physics Research Presentations: CSULB, December 2012.
Jill Pestana, Dr. Aron Varga, Dr. Yohannes Abate, “Near-field Nanoscopy of Cesium Dihydrogen Phosphate” (Honors Thesis); Poster Presentation, Physics Congress Conference (PhysCon): Orlando, FL, December 2012.
Jill Pestana, Dr. Aron Varga, Dr. Yohannes Abate, “Investigation of Cesium Hydrogen Sulfate”; Poster Presentation, Women in Physics Conference: Stanford University/SLAC, January 2012.
Jill Pestana, Dr. Jiyeong Gu, “Magnetic Proximity Effect of Niobium-Permalloy Thin Films”; Oral Presentation, Women in Physics Conference: University of Southern California, January 2011.
Jill Pestana, Dr. Jiyeong Gu, “Magnetic Proximity Effect of Niobium-Permalloy Thin Films”; Oral Presentation, APS Conference: Caltech, Oral Presentation, October 2010.
Jill Pestana, Dr. Jiyeong Gu, “Magnetic Proximity Effect of Niobium-Permalloy Thin Films”; Poster Presentation, CSULB College of Natural Science and Mathematics Poster Presentations, September 2010.